Grade Reporting FAQ

I want to pull my grades from Canvas into Banner. How do I do that?

  • Check out the Canvas FAQ. Once your grades are pulled from Canvas into Banner, you can review and change grades, and then submit them through your Faculty Tab within myNMSU.

Where can I get help on entering my grades?

I can’t find the current term on my faculty tab.

  • After you log on to MyNMSU, click on the Faculty link on the top On the right hand side of the page, click on Final Grades under Faculty.  On the Select Term page, change the term to current term.  (Banner defaults to another term automatically.)  Submit.  When you click on CRN Selection, you will now have access to your class lists for the semester.

One or more of my classes isn’t on the drop down list under my Faculty tab.

  • Did you select the correct term? If you did, then you have never been assigned as the instructor of that  Please contact your department secretary or Academic Scheduling at the Registrar’s Office,  We will need the CRN of the class and your ID to add you as the instructor.

Do I have to enter all my grades at once?

  • You can enter/change grades from the time grading is opened up until it closes. However, once grading closes at 5 p.m. Mountain Time on the Tuesday following finals week, you’ll need to fill out a Change of Grade form for any missing grades and grade changes.  The form is available online on MyNMSU (Faculty Tab) or from your department office or in the Registrar’s Office.

Some students already have a Last Date of Attendance even though I haven’t started entering final grades.

  • You entered those Dates when you entered midterm You can delete or change the Last Date of Attendance, as appropriate.

One of my students is not showing up on the class list.

  • The student is not officially registered in the class.  The Registrar’s Office will need a Retroactive Registration form to register the student before you can issue a grade.

I can’t enter a grade for a student who withdrew from my class. The final grade form says the “Not Gradable.”

  • You don’t have to give grades to students who have officially withdrawn from a class or from the university.  They already have a grade of “W” recorded in Banner.

What information do I need to enter if a student doesn’t pass?

  • If you assign a non-passing grade (“F,” “1,” “U,” or “RR”), you must also enter a last date of This should be that last academic-related activity the student took part in-a test, homework, participation in an online discussion, etc.
  • If you enter a non-passing grade without a last date of attendance, you will get the following error messages and ***none of your grades will be saved!***

Your grade submissions have been rejected.

A last attendance date is required for the following grade code(s): F. Please insert a

last date of attendance and resubmit your grades.

  • Be careful! Banner won’t take the date unless you use the correct format-mm/dd/yyyy.So for example, April  1 must be entered as 04/01/2015.  Any other format will provoke an error message about the date format!

This student never attended a class.

  • If a student if registered but never attended, please enter the first day of class as the last day In addition, please enter 0 in the Attend Hours field.  (The financial aid rules for students who never attended are different from those for students who attended the first day of class only.)

Do I need to enter a Last Attend Date and Attend Hours for all students?

  • You only need to enter a Last Attend Date if a student has a non-passing grade and you only need to enter the Attend Hours for a student who never attended a class.

How will I know if my grades were submitted successfully?

  • When you submit grades, and there are no problems, the following message will be appear at the top_of the grade list:

The changes  you made were saved successful!   .

  • (The “Instructions for entering final grades” will still be posted at the very top of the )
  • To double check that your grades have been saved, click on the Faculty tab, select the term, CRN, and Final Grades.

How can I print my class list after I enter the grades?

  • You can print out the Final Grades page or the Summary Class List (link at bottom right). Both take about three pages per 50 students.  Unfortunately, if you have more than 50 students in your class, you will have to print out each “record set” of 50 students.

My Graduate student finished this semester, but I don’t have a option of a grade of “S.”

  • PR is the correct grade for the The Registrar’s Office will add the final grade of “S” when we receive the Final Thesis Dissertation Grade Slip from the Graduate School.

I need to change a grade for a student, but I can’t change it online.

  • You can make changes to grades before grading closes, but afterwards, you’ll need to fill out a paper Change of Grade The form is available online on MyNMSU (Faculty Tab) or from your department office or in the Registrar’s Office.

I didn’t get my grades for one class entered before the deadline.  Can I just send a spreadsheet of the grades?

  • No, You’ll need to fill out a Change of Grade form for each student in the class.